Publications – three tracks
Track 1: Information Economics and Platforms
Track 2: Energy, Operations, and Supply Chain Management
Track 3: Healthcare
Track 1: Information Economics and Platforms
- Henfridsson, O., P. Hukal, G. Parker, M. Shaikh, (forthcoming) “Platform Signaling for Generating Platform Content.” MIS Quarterly.
- Anderson, E.G., G. Parker, B. Tan, (2020). “Platform Pricing and Investment to Drive Third Party Value Creation in Two-Sided Networks.” Information Systems Research.
- Huang, H., G. Parker, Y. Tan, H. Xu (forthcoming) “Altruism or Shrewd Business? Implications of Technology Openness on Platform Innovations and Competition.” MIS Quarterly.
- Parker, G., M. Van Alstyne (2018). “Innovation, Openness, and Platform Control.” Management Science. Management Science Best Paper Award in Information Systems.
- P. Constantinides, O. Henfridsson, G. Parker (2018). “Platforms and Infrastructures in the Digital Age.” Special issue editorial and survey for Information Systems Research.
- Parker, G., M. Van Alstyne. X. Jiang (2017). “Platform Ecosystems: How Developers Invert the Firm.” MIS Quarterly. (1) MISQ Paper of the year Award; (2) Association for Information Systems Best Paper Award.
- M. Van Alstyne, Parker, G., (2017). “Platform Business: From Resources to Relationships.” GfK Marketing Intelligence Review.
- Wan, X., Cenamor, J., Parker, G., M. Van Alstyne (2017). “Unraveling Platform Strategies: A Review from an Organizational Ambidexterity Perspective.” Sustainability.
- M. Van Alstyne, Parker, G., S. Choudary (2016). “Pipelines, Platforms, and the New Rules of Strategy.” Harvard Business Review. (1) Harvard Business review Top Ten Must Reads on Strategy Vol. 2, 2020; (2) Harvard Business review Top Ten Must Reads on Business Model Innovation, 2019; (3) Harvard Business Review – Top Ten Must Read for 2017
- Parker, G., M. Van Alstyne, S. Choudary (2016). Platform Revolution. W.W. Norton & Company, New York, NY. Available at Amazon, Apple, Barnes and Noble, Powell’s, and many more.
- Parker, G., M. Van Alstyne (2014) “Platform Strategy.” In the Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management. M. Augier and D. Teece (eds.).
- Anderson, E.G., G. Parker, B. Tan (2014). “Platform Performance Investment in the Presence of Network Externalities.” Information Systems Research. Vol. 25, No. 1.
- Van Alstyne, M., G. Parker, T. Shanker (2013). A Redeemable Information Coupon Mechanism for Advertising Mail. USPS Office of the Inspector General White Paper.
- Parker, G., M. Van Alstyne (2012). “A Digital Postal Platform: Definitions and a Roadmap.” White paper prepared for the International Post Corporation.
- Eisenmann, T., G. Parker, M. Van Alstyne (2011). “Platform Envelopment.” Strategic Management Journal. Vol. 32.
- Eisenmann, T.E., G.G. Parker, M. Van Alstyne (2009). “Opening Platforms: When, Why and How?” Chapter in Platforms, Markets and Innovation. Gawer, Annabelle (ed.), Edward Elgar: Cheltenham, UK.
- Eisenmann, T., G. Parker, M. Van Alstyne (2006). “Strategies for Two-Sided Markets.” Harvard Business Review, Vol. 84, No. 10. Harvard Business Review – All Time Top 50 Paper.
- Parker, G. and M. Van Alstyne (2005). “Two-Sided Network Effects: A Theory of Information Product Design.” Management Science, Vol. 51, No. 10.
- Noe, T. and G. Parker (2005). “Winner Take All: Competition, Strategy, and the Structure of Returns in the Internet Economy.” Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, Vol. 14, No. 1.
- Parker, G. and M. Van Alstyne (2005). “Mechanism Design to Promote Free Market and Open Source Software Innovation” IEEE Computer Society: Proceedings of the 38th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.
- Parker, G., M. Van Alstyne. (2000). “Information complements, substitutes, and strategic product design.” Proceedings of the twenty first International Conference on Information Systems. Association for Information Systems, 13-15.
Parker, G., M. Van Alstyne (2000). “Internetwork Externalities and Free Information Goods,” Proceedings of the 2nd ACM conference on Electronic Commerce.
Track 2: Energy, Operations, and Supply Chain Management
- N. Jogleker, G. Parker, S. Srai (2020) “Winning the Race for Survival: How Advanced Manufacturing Technologies Are Driving Business-Model Innovation.” World Economic Forum Whitepaper.
- G. Parker, B. Tan, O. Kazan (2019). “Electric Power Industry: Operational and Public Policy Challenges and Opportunities.” Production and Operations Management.
- H. Huang, L. Liu, G. Parker, Y. Tan, Yinliang, H. Xu (2019). “Multi-Attribute Procurement Auctions in the Presence of Satisfaction Risk.” Production and Operations Management. Vol. 28 No. 5.
- E. Anderson, X. Jiang, G. Parker, B. Tan (2019). “Systems Integration and the Dynamics of Partial Outsourcing.” Production and Operations Management. Vol. 28 No. 2.
- E. Anderson, A. Chandrasekaran, A. Davis-Blake, G. Parker (2018). “Managing Distributed Product Development Projects: Integration Strategies for Time-Zone and Language Barriers.” Information Systems Research. Vol. 29 No. 1.
- E. Shittu, G. Parker, N. Mock (2018). “Improving communication resilience for effective disaster relief operations.” Environment Systems and Decisions.
- Richard Tabors, Michael Caramanis, Elli Ntakou, Geoffrey Parker, Marshall Van Alstyne, Paul Centolella, Rick Hornby (2017), “Distributed Energy Resources: New Markets and New Products.” Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.
- Tabors, R., G. Parker, P. Centolella, M. Caramanis, R. Hornby, E. Ntakou, R. Masiello, J. Harrison, F. Farzan, M. Van Alstyne, A. Rudkevich. (2016). “White Paper on Developing Competitive Electricity Markets and Pricing Structures.” Prepared for: New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) and New York State Department of Public Service.
- Shittu, E., X. Jiang, G. Parker (2015). “Energy Technology Investments in Competitive and Regulatory Environments,” Environment, Systems and Decisions.
- Jiang, X., G. Parker, E. Shittu (2015). “Envelope Modeling of Renewable Resource Variability and Capacity.” Computers and Operations Research.
- Grahovac, J., G. Parker, E. Shittu. (2015) “The Impact of Costliness, Competitive Importance, and Modularity of Investments on Outsourcing.” Production and Operations Management. Vol. 24, No. 3.
- Jiang, X., R. Mettu, K. B. Venable, G. Parker (2015) “Flexibility meets Variability: A multi-agent constraint based approach for incorporating renewables into the power grid” Proceedings, AAAI Workshop on Computational Sustainability.
- Anderson, E.G. and G. Parker (2013). “Integration of Global Knowledge Networks.” Production and Operations Management. Vol. 22, No. 6.
- Anderson, E.G. and G. Parker (2013). “Integration and Cospecialization of Emerging Complementary Technologies by Startups.” Production and Operations Management. Vol. 22, No. 6.
- Anderson, M., E. Anderson, G. Parker (2013). Operations Management for Dummies. Wiley. Available from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Powells, and many more.
- Adamson, S., G. Parker (2013). “Participation and Efficiency in the New York Financial Transmission Rights Markets.” Book Chapter in Financial Transmission Rights: Analysis, Experiences and Prospects (Lecture Notes in Energy). Edited by J. Rosellón, T. Kristiansen. R.
- Amaral, J, E. Anderson, G. Parker (2011). “How to Succeed in Distributed Product Development.” Sloan Management Review. Vol. 52, No. 2 (Winter).
- Tabors, G. Parker, M. Caramanis (2010). “Development of the Smart Grid: Missing Elements in the Policy Process” IEEE Computer Society: Proceedings of the 43rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.
- Adamson, S., T. Noe, G. Parker (2010). “Efficiency of Financial Transmission Rights Markets in Centrally Coordinated Periodic Auctions.” Energy Economics. Vol. 32, No. 4.
- Tan, B., E. Anderson, J. Dyer, G. Parker (2010). “Evaluating System Dynamics Models of Risky Projects Using Decision Trees: Alternative Energy Projects as an Illustrative Example.” System Dynamics Review, Vol. 26, No. 1.
- Parker, G., M. Van Alstyne (2009). “Six Challenges in Platform Licensing and Open Innovation.” Communications & Strategies, No. 74 (2nd Quarter).
- Amaral, J, G. Parker (2008). “Foresight: Prevent Design Outsourcing Disasters.” Harvard Business Review, Vol. 86, No. 9.
- Anderson, E., A. Davis-Blake, S. Erzurumlu, N. Joglekar, G. Parker (2007). “The Effects of Outsourcing, Offshoring, and Distributed Product Development Organization on Coordinating the NPD Process.” Chapter in Handbook on New Product Development. Eds. C. Loch, S. Kavadias.
- Anderson, E.G. and G. Parker (2002). “The Effect of Learning on the Make/Buy Decision.” Production and Operations Management, Vol. 11, No. 3.
- Parker, G.G. and E.G. Anderson (2002). “From Buyer to Integrator: The Transformation of the Supply Chain Manager in the Vertically Disintegrating Firm.” Production and Operations Management, Vol 11, No. 1.
- Parker, G., E. Anderson (2001), “Supply Chain Integration: Putting Humpty-Dumpty Back Together Again,” Chapter in New Directions in Supply-Chain Management: Technology, Strategy, and Implementation.
- Anderson, E. G. Jr., C. Fine, and G. Parker (2000). “Upstream Volatility in the Supply Chain: The Machine Tool Industry as a Case Study.” Production and Operations Management, Vol 9, No. 3.
Track 3: Healthcare
- D. Monlezun,M. John, I. Dortonne, Ii Gaines, K. Carsky, D. Chernobylsky, P. Ferrin, A. Paramesh, R. Zhang, C. McDermott, G. Parker, M. Darden, J. Buell (2018). “Post Renal Transplant Infection: What is the effect of specific immunosuppressant agents?,” Surgery.
- D. Monlezun, M. Darden, P. Friedlander, L. Balart, G. Parker, J. Buell (2018). “Racial and regional disparity in liver transplant allocation,” Surgery.
- J. G. Witt, A. M. Haugh, M. Weaver, M Darden, G Parker, W. A. Ellsworth, J. F. Buell (2018) “Amnion membrane for the management of fungal bronchial stump infection” Surg Case Rep. Vol. 2(1) 9-11.
- J. G. Witt, A. M. Haugh, A. Hauch, M Darden, G Parker, W. A. Ellsworth, J. F. Buell (2017) “Amniotic Membrane for the Treatment of Burns” J Plast Surg Cosmetol. Vol. 1(1) 9-11.
- A. M. Haugh, J. G. Witt, A. Hauch, M. Darden, G. Parker, W. A. Ellsworth, J. F. Buell, (2017). “Amnion Membrane in Diabetic Foot Wounds: A Meta-analysis.” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- Smith, Alison A., Michael Darden, Zaid Al-Qurayshi, Anil S. Paramesh, Mary Killackey, Emad Kandil, Geoffrey Parker, Luis Balart, Paul Friedlander, and Joseph F. Buell (2017), “Liver transplantation in New Orleans: parity in a world of disparity?” HPB.
- D. Pointer, A. Volk, M. Darden, G. Parker, R. Marshall, P. Friedlander, J. Buell (2017), ”Disparities and survival outcomes in the management of hepatocellular carcinoma: a national perspective.” HPB Volume 19, Supplement 1, Page S68.
- A. Volk, D. Pointer, Z. Al-Qurayshi, G. Parker, M. Darden, J. Buell (2017), ”Surgical volume as a driver for clinical and financial outcomes after liver resection: a national perspective.” HPB Volume 19, Supplement 1, Pages S71-S72.
- Buell, Joseph F.; Sigmon, David; Ducoin, Christopher; Shapiro, Max MDTeja, Nikhil; Wynter, Emmett; Hanisee, Mary K.; Parker, Geoffrey; Kandil, Emad; Darden, Michael (2016) “Initial Experience With Biologic Polymer Scaffold (Poly-4-hydroxybuturate) in Complex Abdominal Wall Reconstruction.” Annals of Surgery.
- M. John, I. Dortonne, B. Kim, C. Li, M. Killackey, A. Paramesh, B. Lee, R. Zhang, G. Parker, J. Buell (2016) “Do Powerful Induction Antibodies Increase Post Renal Transplant Infections?.” American Journal of Transplantation. Vol. 16.
- Lee SJ, Hauch A, Kane E, DuCoin C, Darden M, Parker G, Kandil E, Buell JF. (2016), ”Effect of obesity on perioperative outcomes after laparoscopic hepatectomy.” Hepatoma Research.
Commentary and Interviews
- G. Parker (2019) “How digital platforms are changing the way we do business – Interview.” Cambridge University Centre for International Manufacturing.
- G. Parker, M. Van Alstyne, P. Evans (2019) “The Four Biggest Challenges Digital Platforms Need to Address. Medium.
- S. Choudary, M. Van Alstyne, G. Parker (2019) “Platforms and Blockchain Will Transform Logistics.” HBR Blog Post.
- G. Parker, M. Van Alstyne, P. Evans (2018) “How Platform Strategies Continue to Create Value. Sloan Management Review, online blog article.
- G. Parker, M. Van Alstyne, P. Evans (2018) “Data Ownership, Regulation, and Blockchain Dominate Platform Markets.” Medium.
- G. Parker editorial (2018). “The Consumer Data Collection Industry is about to Explode.” The Hill.
- G. Parker and A. Farid interview with Michael Blanding (2017). “Uber for Energy.” Dartmouth Engineer Magazine. Spring 2017.
- G. Parker interview with Mark Hulbert (2017). “Investing in a ‘Winner Takes All’ Economy.” Wall Street Journal. April 9, 2017.
- G. Parker interview with Annie Turner (2017) “Using data to grow new platform businesses.” TM Forum Inform. March 17, 2017.
- G. Parker Interview with Hannah Silverstein (2016). “Designing a Leaner, More Reliable Energy Grid.” Dartmouth News. May 10, 2016.
- M. Van Alstyne, Parker, G., S. Choudary (2016). “6 Reasons Platforms Fail.” Harvard Business Review. Online Article, March 31, 2016.
- Parker, G. (2016). “Wallet Hub Interview: 2016’s Most & Least Energy-Expensive States“
- Parker and Van Alstyne (2016) “The Platform Revolution” Interview by Christian Sarkar
- Choudary, S., G. Parker, M. Van Alstyne (2013). “Outlook 2014: Platforms are Eating the World,” Commentary for Wired, December 26, 2013.
- Choudary, S., G. Parker, M. Van Alstyne (2013). “What Twitter knows that Blackberry didn’t,” Commentary for Wall Street Journal Market Watch, October 10, 2013.
- Caramanis, M., G. Parker, R. Tabors (2009). “Smart Grid Policy Statement.” Comments for Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Docket No. PL09-4-00.
- Parker, G. (2009). “Survival Guide to the Smart Grid Platform” Commentary for SmartGridNews.Com.